I’ve just had a new article published on the website of Atlanta’s Interfaith Community Institute. It’s called “Silence: Doorway to Contemplation and Interfaith Friendship.” In Psalm 46, God is quoted as saying, “Be still and know that I am God.” God, the Ultimate Mystery, is greater than human language, thought, or ideas. For this reason, [...]
Archive | interfaith dialogue RSS feed for this section
In modern Western society, many people turn away from the Christianity of their formative years because they find its truths smothered under an unreal kind of religiosity. They see that the people in the churches are not changing and becoming better, but rather are comforting themselves and each other in their unregenerate state. They find [...]
Of Gods and Men, the award-winning French film about Cistercian monks who lived at the Monastery of Tibhirine in Algeria and who were killed in 1996 during the Algerian civil war, will begin showing in Atlanta next Friday, April 1. I had the privilege to attend an advance screening sponsored by Sony Pictures today. The [...]
Hello friends. I’ve recently written a post for the Cedar Hill Blog. Cedar Hill is a wonderful retreat center located in Gainesville, GA; I will be leading a day of reflection and renewal centered on contemplation and interfaith spirituality on Saturday, April 2. If you live within shouting distance (or, better yet, driving distance), I [...]
If you live in or near metro Atlanta, I invite you to an exciting interfaith event tomorrow, December 12, 2010, from 3:00 to 5:00 PM at the Great Hall of Shallowford Presbyterian Church, 2375 Shallowford Road, NE, Atlanta, GA 30345. The event is called “A Taste of Faith.” It is sponsored by the Atlanta Interfaith [...]
I’m back in Atlanta after a dizzying five-day trip to the great Pacific Northwest. While in Portland, OR, I spoke and signed books at the New Renaissance Bookshop, Waverly Heights United Church of Christ, and Sts. Peter & Paul Episcopal Church. I also enjoyed lunch and conversation with members of the Muslim community at a [...]
Books by Carl McColman
- Communion and the Broken Body September 13, 2009
- Of Death, Dementia, and Dear Old Friends November 11, 2010
- Wasting Time with God May 11, 2010
- Of Atheists and Apophatics… November 26, 2010
- Concerning Spiritual Noise, (Lack of) Inner Silence, and Singlemindedness October 25, 2010
- Benedictine Spirituality and the Community of Hope April 24, 2013
- Does God = Consciousness? April 12, 2013
- Carmelite Review reviews “Answering the Contemplative Call” April 11, 2013
- Concerning Stillness, Songs, and Soul Friends March 26, 2013
- Simplicity and Silence March 22, 2013
- Jacob: Not a jam band but since you brought up progressiv...
- jacthehat: I really struggle with the divisions of others, as...
- A Christian: I happened upon this blog post today while doing s...
- theperkster: Church leaders pay a high price for excluding cont...
- Eric Robert Nielsen: Hi Ellen, I think the word intellect is being con...